Monday, March 19, 2012

The first day of clinics

Hello friends and family!  This is Helen writing for the team.

As you know, today was our first day of clinics.  For the most part, it went really well.  We gave 195 glasses to 165 people who came through.  I cannot really speak for others, but I had an awesome day.  These are the stations and the people that did them, from start to finish:  Sign-up, local church; Witnessing, Tim Heiney; Nursing, Chris Scalzo, Rick Twenhafel;  Testing, Rick and Katie Twenhafel, Chris,  myself; Dispensing, Ken Jorns, Beth Heiney, Katie, Betty Lortscher, myself; Fitting, Gary Lortscher; Everywhere and Everything, Debby Suchyta (she was wonderful at helping us new timers learn, and helping wherever needed); Translating, church locals.  As you can see, a few people got to trade around and try a couple different stations.The work space was nice and there was cool shade, which is wonderful.  We had long round pockets filled with beads that soaked up water and helped keep us cool all day, and that was very nice.

We worked by the church, where they have a school outside, so many children came through.  I made friends with one little girl, after I gave her glasses, and I was taking a small break, when she came and tapped me on the shoulder.  She asked for some of my water (I had put a flavoring packet in it, so it was pink and looked appealing to a little girl), so I poured some into her water bottle, and she ran away.  When she came back, she had a little package of animal crackers, and after giving them to me she ran away again, coming back with a cookie.  After running away again, she came back with her empty water bottle, and I poured some more of my water in it.  I have really noticed a lot of generosity here, in Guinea, which is considered a very poor country.

Tomorrow, we have to drive a ways, so I should go to bed so I can get back up in the morning!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment